Thursday, March 15, 2012

The human parasite.

When you introduce a new species into an ecosystem, you can dramatically change that ecosystem in many negative ways.

In the USA, mankind's inhabitation on a mass scale is a new development. We're a new species in a once vibrant ecosystem. We've now extincted species of birds, nearly wiped out the buffalo and the wolf, and are turning our forests into habitation only fit for our species.

With this happening, we're now changing the landscape of the country. There are only a few places left that are truly untouched for the enjoyment of those who wish to see what true primitive nature is like. With over 300 parks in our National Park system, we should visit these parks. Having been to several, I strongly advise this. If you haven't been, there's no reason not to.

However, because we're always impacting our ecosystem, we should try to care for the planet we've been given. We should realize that our very presence has a major impact on the planet, and we should do what we can to preserve what we can.

Most invasive species aren't able to grasp the concept of reducing their impact. We are able to grasp that concept, and because of this we should do everything we can to reduce that impact.

I try to live my life in a way that has a limited impact. I air dry my laundry, I don't make un-necessary trips, I recycle, my house is filled with CFL bulbs…..but then this isn't enough in and of itself. No matter how little energy my CFL bulbs use, the power plants are likely burning fossil fuels to create the power that lights my house. So the burden is on the power companies to find clean ways of generating the power that I desire.

In order to strengthen my resolve to protect what we've been given, I try to visit our national parks when I can. I urge all of you who have not developed an appreciation for nature to do the same. The parks are one of the most wondrous places I've ever visited. It helps me to strengthen my resolve to protect our planet, and to reduce the impact I have on our planet.

No comments: