Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Equality

I'm a firm believer that everyone is equal to everyone else. Some are born into more hospitable circumstances than others, and some are born having to fight their way through from birth. But each and every one of us are equal. None of us are better or worse than anyone else.

The differences lie not in what we can't control, but rather what we can. Each of us are given a chance to make decisions that speak about our character. Each of us are given an opportunity to be good or bad to people. Some of us are bad to people at times, but see the error in our ways and return to being good. That doesn't make them a bad person, rather it makes them a person who made bad choices.

When it comes to dealing with my peers in the music industry, I may be starstruck if Bob Rock or Kirk Hammett walked into my studio, but on a deep level I'm well aware that I'm equal to them. They've been far more successful at endeavors that I wanted to undertake, but that's because of a million circumstances and not one specific thing. Strip away the awards and the fame, they are a person just like me who have specific skills like I do.

I used to want to kiss everyones ass and try to schmooze my way into certain doors. This is behind me, and has been for a while. I realize that I like my character better than some that I was schmoozing. But we're still equals as human beings. They may know some people that I don't, but they don't have to be the one who introduces me to those I need to meet. There are a lot more people than that who know those I need to meet to make connections. I'm just as capable of making those connections through a myriad of other routes as any of my peers. What will ultimately separate me from those peers is my ability to do so, rather than my decision to sit on my hands and hope it happens.

We don't all have equal work ethic. We don't all have equal chances. We don't all have equal skills. But we are all equal on the most basic levels. I've told this to managers I've had at jobs in the past, despite the fact that they gave me horrified looks as though I was being insolent. This wasn't the case, as I was merely trying to tell them that if they are unfair to me as their subordinate, I can't respect them as my superior because they will lose the respect I give them by default as my acting superior. If I agree to work in a team environment with someone, I deserve equal respect for the role I play in that team because the person in charge of me is no better than me. If I'm not granted that respect, I'll still do the job, but they'll know they've lost my respect. For me, it's not about being treated as lower than someone, it's about acknowledging my role in a team environment and acting according to that role, while giving and recieving equal respect from those within the team.

This wasn't prompted by anything. Rather it's been something that's been on my mind as I prepare to open the new studio location. I'm considering my role in the Columbus Music Scene, and what it may take to get clients at the new location. The fact is that there's no need for me to kiss anyone's ass. I will be respectful of anyone, but in the end we're all equals.

No comments: