Monday, February 20, 2012

.....barriers to entry into the music business.....

I'm a man of many hats. One of those hats is studio owner / producer, but I also am 1/2 of Project DIVIDE, a solo artist, co-owner of F.R.O.E. Records, video editor, podcaster, and a full time student.

"Yeah, so are a lot of people....."

I've been noticing that a lot of people in the independent music marketplace are touting a similar resume, and while they may be those things, it would seem that a lot of them are still honing their craft and therefore are polluting the scene with low quality products. On one level, this low barrier to entry for anyone with a few hundred dollars infuriates me to a certain degree. Sure we all start somewhere, and if you one day turn into the next hot shit producer because of the time you spent paying your dues, then more power to you. But seeing my services being similar in price to some (not all, but some) of these competitors, yet my end product being leaps and bounds beyond the products they are putting out (this isn't meant to come accross as me being pretentious, but most untrained ears and eyes can spot the quality difference). On another level, this gives me a low competition barrier. I outdo the competition at this price point, next thing you know I've got that share of the market, and I start attacking a higher price point and building the business to compete with heavier competition.

So yeah, I wear a lot of hats, just like my peers. But hopefully I'll be able to sell Columbus on the fact that my end product is leaps and bounds beyond most of the competition that I've seen at this price point for a recording studio.

No rest for the wicked. Goodnight.

No comments: